This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please read my disclosure for more details(Last Updated On: February 1, 2019)
My second month of blogging was full of ups and downs. I started off on a good note and then experienced a mini-burnout half-way through the month. Then, miraculously, out of no where, my Pinterest started bringing in over 200 viewers a day! All my mistakes and tips and tricks will be documented in this month’s income report!
The reason I share my income reports is because I want to track my progress (trials and failures) and help others by sharing my experience.
Don’t forget to also read my guide on how to start a profitable blog!
Previous Income Reports
- March 2018: $0
April 2018 Goals & Learnings
I almost entirely failed my goals set for April 2018. Now that I’ve been blogging for 2 months, I finally understand the “blogging landscape” a bit better and hopefully next month I’ll get closer to my targets.
1. Get 10,000 page views
Fail – 2,956 page views (up from 1,066 last month)
I actually underestimated how difficult it would be to attract new visitors and to keep old ones coming. In the earlier part of April, I was, on some days, averaging less than 20 visits per day. However, in the end of April, I somehow figured out a Pinterest strategy that works (thanks to Pinteresting Strategies) and now I get between 80-200 visitors a day. I’m going to keep this strategy up and see how May unfolds.
2. 500 followers on Twitter
Fail – 289 followers (up from 70 last month)
I actually stopped trying to gain followers on Twitter and I mainly use it to keep up with other blogs that I follow. Twitter doesn’t really drive much traffic to my blog. I’m focusing more on Pinterest now.
3. 100 followers on Pinterest
Success – 127 followers (up from 15 last month)
I basically didn’t even try to get followers on Pinterest but the followers kept coming to me. I don’t believe in following other people on Pinterest just to get them to follow me back – I don’t do that and never will.
What I suspect is going on is that Pinterest has recognized me as an “expert curator” of pins that are relevant to my target audience. As a result, they started recommending my boards and pins to other pinners on Pinterest. Don’t worry, I will publish a post about this soon! [EDIT: see my post How I Grew My Monthly Pinterest Traffic To 100,000 By Manually Pinning (No Tailwind or Boardbooster)]
I purchased Pinteresting Strategies by Carly who manually pinned her way to 200,000+ page views per month. I have to say that I personally prefer manually pinning on Pinterest and her ebook is definitely a game changer for me. The strategies discussed in the ebook are ones that I haven’t read anywhere else on the Internet (and trust me, I’ve read A LOT of articles). Also, for the price of only $32, this ebook is a steal. I will definitely be writing a post in a few days about how exactly this course changed my blog traffic and brought me ~200 visitors per day to my brand new blog (and within 9 days of implementing the strategies).
4. 20 email subscribers
Fail – 6 subscribers (up from 1 last month)
I neglected my list this month and didn’t put in any effort at all to get new email subscribers. Next month I’m going to work on this.
5. Write 20 blog posts
Fail – wrote 14 (wrote 10 last month)
I realized that writing 20 blog posts a month is unsustainable. I was burning myself out big time. In fact, I even wrote a blog post about how blogging was ruining my life and it’s one of my most popular articles (oh, the irony)!
This month, I published the following articles:
- What It’s Like To Date A French Man
- My First Month Blogging – March 2018 Income Report
- How To Find A Job While Living Abroad
- How I Doubled My Income Within 3 Years of Graduating College
- My Net Worth Report – March 2018 – $767,269
- How To Choose A Profitable Blog Niche
- How Blogging Is Ruining My Life (And What To Do About It)
- What It’s Like To Be An Asian Living in Switzerland
- The Full-Time Student Blogger Who Earns $10K A Month From Side Hustles
- 6 Things That Are Actually Cheaper In Switzerland
- How To Pick The Perfect Blog Name
- How I Save Thousands of Dollars Per Month By Living Frugally
- 11 Reasons Why I Don’t Plan To Move Back To Canada
- My Net Worth Report – April 2018 – $765,059
After having published my first 20 articles, I can say that blogging gets easier. You start to figure out a rhythm that works for you. You start to understand which types of posts people want to read and it becomes easier to write those posts from experience.
6. Make 1 affiliate sale
Fail – 0 affiliate sales
I totally dropped the ball on this one. I joined a bunch of affiliate networks but didn’t spend any time integrating links into my posts or promoting any products. This will also be a focus for next month.
My Blogging Goals for May 2018
- 10,000 page views
- 500 followers on Twitter
- 500 followers on Pinterest
- 50 email subscribers
- Write 15 blog posts
- Get at least one affiliate sale [EDIT]: Literally 1 hour within publishing this post, I got my first affiliate sale! Whoot-whoot!
Ultimately I want to grow my monthly views to at least 25,000 a month to get into a premium ad network. Let’s see if 10,000 views is possible this month! Realistically, I think I will end up at around 5,000-6,000.
To Do List for May 2018
- Revisit all my old blog posts and embed more “related links” in them
- Fix all my old Pinterest graphics and make them prettier and more “pinnable”
- Make my blog more compliant (add a more in-depth privacy disclosure, etc.)
- Add a freebies/resources page for my blog. I am planning to add some free resources on how to start a blog and how to budget.
- Learn Tailwind and start using it
- Finish my “How To Start A Blog” series
- Write more articles that are on backlog (i.e. how I grew my Pinterest traffic, how I bought a house, how I went to university for free, etc.)
- Move my mailing list to another provider and start actually emailing my list
Key Stats for April 2018
- Page views: 2,956 (up from 1,066)
- Twitter Followers: 289 (up from 70)
- Pinterest Followers: 127 (up from 15)
- Email subscribers: 6 (up from 1)
Overall, I think I’m doing quite well for my second month of blogging, especially considering that I had a week or so of complete inactivity due to my burnout. I hope next month will be better and that I won’t work myself too hard.
As you can see, I finally figured out Pinterest and am starting to get over 150 users per day towards the end of April 🙂
April 2018 Blog Income: $4.86
- Income: $4.86 (up from $0 last month)
- Hours spent blogging: 41 hours
All my income this month is through Google ads. I re-installed the ads to my site because in Elite Blog Academy (a blogging course I’m taking), they recommend that you start with ads right off the bat rather than adding them when your blog “takes off.” There will be less backlash from readers that way 😉
The thing is, the more page views you get, the more ad impressions/clicks you will have, and then the more money you’ll generate. My page views are still on the low side (~3,000 this month) but I’d say $5 is not too shabby after only 2 months of blogging.
This month, I basically earned $0.11/hour blogging. It’s not glorious but it’s a start and I’m happy. Things can only go up from here!
April 2018 Blog Expenses: $32
As mentioned above, I bought Carly’s Pinteresting Strategies ebook to learn how to manually pin on Pinterest. So far, I’ve seen a huge boost in my daily traffic (from ~20 daily readers to ~200 in less than 3 weeks). I’m looking forward to continuing this strategy and seeing how May’s traffic rolls out. I highly recommend this ebook to anyone who is serious about blogging and taking their blog traffic to another level.
Related: How To Pick The Perfect Blog Name
April 2018 Net Profit: -$27.14
Again, another month “in the red” but at least it’s not as drastic as last month’s -$1,008. I’m hoping to see a profit next month! Fingers crossed!
Pin for later
Recommendations for you
- Free Guide to Starting Your Own Blog! - This is a free guide I wrote to help you start your own blog!
- Free Resource Library! - I started this library for subscribers and I will be adding more to it every month. Free downloads for blogging, budgeting, moving abroad, etc.!
- Ebates - Get cash back for shopping online! Get $10 back when you spend your first $25!
- Airbnb - I love Airbnb and it's how I afford to travel so much without breaking the bank! Sign up for $40 off your first trip!