This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please read my disclosure for more details(Last Updated On: February 1, 2019)
In July, I earned over $200 on my brand new blog. I am by no means special, and half of the time I am winging it! That’s why I am still very surprised that I earned $200 this month, especially because I spent practically the entire month travelling. I was literally travelling in 5 countries last month!
After my fifth month blogging, I am finally getting a rhythm on things. Summer is supposed to be the most difficult few months since everyone is outside. I’m still glad that my blog hasn’t lost any momentum since I started it. I’m starting to see blogging as a real way to make passive income online!
Why I publish blog income reports
The reason I got into blogging in the first place was because I was studying other people’s income reports. There was so much to learn from them. That is also why I am sharing mine. It’s a way for me to track my progress (trials and failures) and help others by sharing my own experience.
If you haven’t started a blog already, don’t forget to also read my guide on how to start a profitable blog!
Previous Income Reports
July 2018 Goals & Learnings
I purposely set some ambitious goals which I thought were doable but unlikely. I do this to motivate myself to work harder and not settle for goals that are way too easy to achieve. Here’s a review of the goals I set from last month and how I measured up!
1. Get 30,000 page views
Fail – 10,878 (-538 from last month)
I didn’t have any viral pins this month from Pinterest. However, I am still getting a steady 10,000+ page views per month on my blog. That’s an average of at least 350 page views per day.
I know a lot of new bloggers who struggle with getting over 350 page views per month, and I’m getting that much per day. So, I really can’t complain about getting 350 page views per day on my new blog.
Most of all, I owe almost all of my traffic to Pinterest. I make all the pins myself and then let Tailwind take care of the scheduling. Thanks to Tailwind, I spend less than an hour a week scheduling pins! Tailwind saves me so much time and is totally, totally worth it!
If you haven’t done so already, give Tailwind a try. You will get a one month free trial through this link.
Also, I’ve written a post on how to use Pinterest to get more traffic. Don’t forget to check it out!
For additional Pinterest resources, I recommend the following:
- Pinteresting Strategies ebook for manual pinning
- This brand new ebook/course that explains everything you need to know about setting up an account and growing your profile to 800 daily clicks! I found it super helpful even though I had already been using Pinterest for a few months!
- Tailwind for scheduling pins at optimal times and board insights
2. 750 followers on Pinterest
Fail – 747 followers (+192 from last month)
Haha, I was 3 followers short of this goal. I would consider this goal basically met!
3. 100 email subscribers
Fail – 59 subscribers (+8 from last month)
My email subscriber strategy sucks. I was so focused on writing blog posts that I really didn’t work on creating any additional lead magnets in July. This will be the goal for next month!
4. Write 10 blog posts
Fail – wrote 9 (-3 from last month)
I was one post short of achieving my goal. I spent almost 3 weeks travelling, so finding time to sit down and write blog posts was a real challenge. I’m hoping that next month I will get back into my groove and publish more frequently.
This month, I published the following articles:
- 16 Simple and Effortless Tricks To Save Money On Groceries
- How To Live Without Wi-Fi To Save Money
- How I Went From Having $11,000 To Living Paycheck To Paycheck
- My Fourth Month Blogging – June 2018 Income Report – $158.74 + FINCON Scholarship
- 3 Extreme And Crazy Ways To Save Money
- 10 Life Lessons I Learned From Doing A Master Degree Abroad
- 7 Reasons Why I Do Not Mind Paying A Tax On My Garbage
- 6 Surprising Perks Of Living In An Extremely Expensive Country
- 5 SEO Tips for Bloggers: How to Get Your Post to Rank on Google (guest post)
I realized that I LOVE writing about finance subjects much more than writing about blogging. However, I’m going to try to write a few more blogging posts to help my loyal readers 🙂
5. Make $1,000 from my blog
Fail – I made only $200
I knew I was going to fail this goal because I didn’t do anything new to try to earn more money from this blog. Next month, I’m going to devise a real strategy to try to earn more money and diversify my income streams. I can’t wait!
My Blogging Goals for August 2018
- 30,000 page views
- 1,000 followers on Pinterest
- 100 email subscribers
- Write 10 blog posts
- Make $1,000 from my blog
I missed nearly every goal from July so I will keep them the same for August. Let’s see what happens 🙂
Revisiting: To Do List for July 2018
Let’s revisit what I had put on my to do list for July. I love to-do lists as they really help me to keep on track and stay organized with all the tasks I have to finish. and apparently I am not that great at following through on all my tasks 😉
- Add more freebies to my resources page –> Fail, I did not even make one additional freebie!
- Start thinking of a product to sell –> Yes, I have a few great ideas 😉
To Do List for August 2018
August will slow down a bit so I can focus on working on my blog. Here are the major things I want to get done next month:
- Add more freebies to my resources page, especially printable PDFs
- Finish the product I want to sell!
Key Stats for July 2018
- Page views: 10,878 (down from 11,416)
- Twitter Followers: 421 (up from 407) – I’m not actively trying to grow my Twitter following so I’m happy to get any additional followers
- Pinterest Followers: 747 (up from 555)
- Email subscribers: 59 (up from 51)
I had hit over 800 sessions in one day. I want to keep that kind of traffic constant for my blog.
July 2018 Blog Income Breakdown: $201.99
- Income: $201.99 (up from $158.74 last month)
- Hours spent blogging: 16.25 hours
My traffic is down this month but I still earned slightly more in ad revenue compared to last month. I’m still working hard to get my traffic back up so I can get into a premium ad network. It’s not the bulk of my focus though.
Affiliate income: $155.82
I’m currently earning affiliate income from the following programs/products:
- ShareASale: It’s my favourite affiliate network. The network includes Tailwind, my Pinterest scheduler.
- Amazon: Every time I recommend some household products, I go to Amazon!
- Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing: This course taught me everything I know about affiliate marketing.
- Bluehost: This is the host I am using for my blog and I’m super happy with it. I wrote a post about how to start a blog and some people have followed my advice and started a blog of their own. I am so happy that I’m helping someone out!!! Thank you for the support 🙂
- Pinteresting Strategies: This ebook has been great in helping me build up my Pinterest profile through manual pinning.
Time spent blogging
Last month, I spent 28.25 hours blogging. This month, it went down to 16.25.
These hours include time spent writing 8 blog articles, commenting on other blogs, responding to blog comments, and taking courses. I am currently enrolled in Elite Blog Academy (for all things blogging), Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing (for affiliate marketing), Billionaire Blog Club (for Pinterest, SEO, affiliate marketing), List Love (for growing my email list), and The Pinterest Launch Plan (for mastering my Pinterest game).
This month, I basically earned $12.43/hour blogging. It doesn’t feel like much but I like to think that all the time and effort that I’m investing in now will pay off in the future.
July 2018 Blog Expenses: $0
I was completely broke this month and am holding off on paying any additional blogging expenses until further notice. However, I will be incurring some expenses to attend FINCON at the end of September. If you don’t know what that is, it’s the biggest personal finance blogging conference. I am so excited to go because I won a scholarship to attend FOR FREE! Also, I’ll be meeting some of my biggest blogging idols! Whoohoo!
I have already prepaid for the following expenses (which I recommend for you):
- Bluehost: The best and most affordable hosting for beginner bloggers! If you haven’t started a blog already, you can sign up through my link and get a free domain! Learn how to start a blog with my free blogging guide.
- Tailwind: $119 a year for scheduling posts to Pinterest
- Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing: This course has taught me so much about affiliate marketing. If you’ve been following my income reports, then you probably know that affiliate marketing makes up for the bulk of my income. This course has more than paid for itself in just the past 3 months alone 🙂
- Billionaire Blog Club: $397 for lifetime access to an amazing course. Scrivs runs over 10 blogs and earns over $70,000 a month from them. He’s moving this course to another platform starting in August and really going to jack up the price. I’d recommend that you buy this NOW before the course goes to over $1,000!
- The Pinterest Launch Plan: $27 for one of the best Pinterest ebooks I’ve read to date
- Pinteresting Strategies: $32 for the first Pinterest ebook I ever read. It teaches you everything you need to know about manual pinning and was what helped me to build my Pinterest profile! I still follow these strategies even though I’m mostly relying on Tailwind for the rest of my pinning 🙂 Manual pinning isn’t dead, people! [EDIT: The price of the book has increased to $47 and you can get $5 off with the discount code PINNING5)
Related: How To Pick The Perfect Blog Name
July 2018 Net Profit: $201.99
I did not invest in any additional expense for the month. The entire $200 is take-home, baby!
After my fifth month of making money blogging as a complete newbie, I can seriously say that blogging really is a great source of passive income. I spent 16 hours blogging (which I find super meditative and fun) and earned $200. It totally beats slaving at the office!
By the way, I’m starting a top secret blog in August as part of a secret project I’m working on 😉
Recommendations for you
- Free Guide to Starting Your Own Blog! - This is a free guide I wrote to help you start your own blog!
- Free Resource Library! - I started this library for subscribers and I will be adding more to it every month. Free downloads for blogging, budgeting, moving abroad, etc.!
- Ebates - Get cash back for shopping online! Get $10 back when you spend your first $25!
- Airbnb - I love Airbnb and it's how I afford to travel so much without breaking the bank! Sign up for $40 off your first trip!