This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please read my disclosure for more details(Last Updated On: October 21, 2020)
I am a huge personal development junkie and I’ve tried just about everything that’s ever been recommended by self-help gurus.
One thing I got into was using positive affirmations. Once you start saying these to yourself everyday, you will realise the true POWER in positive affirmations.
This article will discuss the power of positive affirmations and provides you with a list of positive affirmations to say everyday!
Why should I use positive affirmations?
Positive affirmations are basically a positive spin on the common negative thoughts that you may have. We all have negative thoughts which are commonly referred to as “self-limiting beliefs.” These beliefs have been engrained in our sub-conscious minds since we were kids.
For example, you probably grew up with parents saying, “We cannot afford that.” Or perhaps you had bullies criticising you: “You’re so fat,” or “You’re so ugly,” or “You’re so stupid.”
You may not actively be a ware of it, but these negative statements affect the way you behave. If you believe that you cannot afford something, you will start thinking with a scarcity mindset. You might penny pinch and subconsciously avoid saving money because you’re not comfortable having money. If you believe you’re unattractive, you may lack self-confidence and turn down any opportunities to go out and meet people. If you believe you’re stupid, you may never try anything new or study which ends up affirming that you “cannot succeed” in life.
As you can see, self-limiting beliefs are super powerful and affect the way you act and behave without you really realising it. The only way to undo years of negative thinking is by thinking in the opposite way. Using positive affirmations in place of negative thoughts!
What are positive affirmations?
Positive affirmations are powerful, positive statements in the present tense that you repeat daily. These statements include positive words reflecting what you want to become.
Present tense includes terms like “I am” and “I have” and “I do.” If you use “I will” or “I hope” or “I want” then these are not statements in the present tense and it will not be effective.
Thinking in the present tense forces you to take action immediately instead of waiting. If you use “future-oriented” terms, then your mind does not feel the pressure to take action and look for opportunities to change right away.
Make sure to change all your statements to the present tense! Here are some examples of how to transform your “future-oriented” thinking to the present tense:
I will do –> I do
I will be –> I am
I will have –> I have
I wish –> I have/am/do
I hope –> I have
I need –> I have
I’m trying to –> I have/am/do
These affirmations are repeated daily in order to train and rewire your brain to think positively and seek out opportunities. Through repetition, these affirmations have the power to change your mindset from a negative one to a more positive one.
For example, I have the natural tendency to believe that I am not smart enough. It’s my mind and body’s way of coping with stress. I’m scared of failure, so rather than trying and risking failure, I’d rather not try at all. This is a very human quality that a lot of people possess.
However, I started doing a daily affirmation saying that, “I am smart. I am hardworking. I am successful.” All of these positive statements helped me to actually start believing that I am smart enough and that I can succeed in whatever I set my heart to do.
And because I started believing I could do it, I actually started taking action to achieve my goals. That’s when the magic happened.
I started seeing a new version of me. A more positive one. And all of the things I wanted in my life started coming to my life – money, love and relationships, self-confidence, and more!
If you start paying attention to your daily speech, you will notice that either you tend to use words with positive meanings, or words with negative ones. I actually spent a few days paying attention to all of the words I used and I noticed a lot of negative words that I used over and over again.
I tried to find a way to turn these negative words into positive words. Pay attention for yourself if you’re using these negative words!
I cannot –> I can
I never –> I always
I don’t –> I do
I hate –> I love
It’s not fair that –> I’m grateful that
____ is hard –> ____ is easy
____ is impossible –> ____ is easy. I am good at ____.
I am bad at –> I am good at
What you want to become
Finally, positive affirmations describe qualities that you wish to possess one day. It’s the future version of yourself that you envision, but said in the present tense.
Repeatedly talking about these positive attributes that you wish to possess will train your brain to actively pick out opportunities and come up with ways to become this person you want to become.
How should I do these positive affirmations everyday?
There are many ways to do positive affirmations.
1. Repeat the powerful affirmations out loud
Personally, I recommend saying these powerful affirmations out loud first thing when you wake up and again right before you go to bed. You should spend at least 3-5 minutes saying them out loud every morning and every night.
2. Close your eyes
Close your eyes while you say these positive affirmations out loud. Closing your eyes will eliminate any distractions and bring your body to a calm. It also allows you to better feel the intensity of the positive feelings involved in these statements you’re making!
3. Visualise the affirmation
Another useful trick is to visualise a version of yourself that you want to become. For example, if my affirmation is “I am successful,” I will visualise myself as my version of a successful person – myself surrounded with a lot of happy friends, wearing nice clothes, etc.
4. Write your affirmations
Another method is to write out these affirmations everyday. I would recommend writing the same affirmation at least 15 times in the morning and 15 times before going to bed.
In fact, I do this everyday. I write, “I am a successful full-time blogger” every morning and every night before I go to bed!
Examples of how these positive affirmations worked for me!
Of course, I realise that you might think this is all “voodoo magic” and none of this is real. I wanted to list some concrete examples of how these affirmations have worked for me in my life!
Graduating college debt-free
Firstly, I wanted to attend college. My parents never had a college education and I knew college was going to be really expensive.
Everyday, I did positive affirmations about being smart and deserving to go to college. I repeated statements like, “I am a college student at a top college. I deserve to go to college.”
These affirmations motivated me to study really hard to obtain top grades. It also motivated me to apply to just about any scholarship available and in the end, I received over $82,000 in scholarships and graduated debt-free! It’s incredible!
Raising over $13,000 for my volunteer project
In my free time, on top of my hobbies, PhD studies, and blogging, I also love to volunteer. Last year, I started a volunteer project. It was a super ambitious project and I had no idea how I was going to execute.
However, I never gave up. I actively worked on my project. I kept doing affirmations that, “My project is a success.” I saw a call for a conference and I applied. Even though I felt that my application wasn’t strong enough, I applied. Good thing I did because apparently I had submitted one of the best applications and subsequently received some funding and was sent to a conference in Chicago as well!
The initial funding was not enough to fund my project. I was also getting lot of negative remarks from people when I told them about my project. Some people said things like, “Are you doing this just for a free trip?” or “That will never work.” I didn’t let these negative thoughts from others stop me.
Earlier this year, I saw another call for funding. Again, I felt as if my project would never stand a chance. I literally spent only 5 minutes on my application because I felt like there was no point. However, thanks to the positive affirmations that I had been doing, I forced myself to at least submit an application. I didn’t want to live without knowing whether or not I would’ve been accepted.
Anyway, a week later, I received notice that I was accepted! I received $10,000 in funding, plus weekly coaching, training sessions, and even my own office space!
On top of that, I attracted two new business partners who reached out to me.. They read about my work and wanted to be part of my project.
I would never have imagined that all this would’ve been possible. As you have read, there were many times when I felt like my project was not good enough and I was even close to giving up a few times. However, thanks to my positive affirmations, I kept believing in myself and the project, continued working, and the rest is history!
Starting a profitable blog
I wanted to start a blog in 2018 but I had no idea where to begin. Every time I told someone my idea, they said things like, “blogging is dead” and “you can’t make money blogging.”
I ignored those nay-sayers and worked on my blog anyways. A year later, I am making a consistent income from my blog. I have companies reaching out to me for partnership opportunities. I was able to coach people through my blog. And I was even featured in the local Swiss newspaper!
The lesson I learned was that it’s never too late to start! And my daily affirmations “I am a successful full-time blogger” helps me to never give up and keep staying focused on my goal!
What are your favourite positive affirmations?
Finally, I’d like to share with you a list of my favourite positive affirmations that I say everyday. Feel free to tweak these statements to suit what you’re trying to attract into your life!
- I am happy.
- I am smart.
- I am successful.
- I am beautiful.
- I am healthy.
- I am wise.
- I am naturally confident.
- I am calm.
- I am creative.
- I am honest.
- I live with integrity.
- I love my job.
- I love my life.
- I love my body.
- I surround myself with positive people.
- I find opportunities everyday to be successful.
- I seize new opportunities everyday.
- I actively look for opportunities to bring me happiness.
- I look for opportunities to help others everyday.
- I look for opportunities to challenge myself everyday.
Here’s a list of positive affirmations related to personal finance and growing my own business:
- I am wealthy.
- I am abundant.
- I am a money magnet.
- My bank account grows everyday.
- Wealth is flowing into my life.
- I love money.
- I am comfortable with money.
- I have a good relationship with money.
- I look for opportunities everyday to grow my bank balance.
- I find new ways to make more money everyday.
- I appreciate the money in my life.
- I can afford anything I want.
- I am grateful for having money and wealth in my life.
- My business is growing everyday.
- New clients are flowing to me everyday.
- I look for opportunities everyday to grow my business.
- I am an excellent business owner.
- I earn money to help others.
- I deserve the money I earn through my business.
- I am a successful business owner.
More inspirational quotes from successful women
- “I want every little girl who’s been told she’s bossy to be told again she has leadership skills.” —Sheryl Sandberg
- “A lot of people are afraid to say what they want. That’s why they don’t get what they want.” – Madonna
- “If you push through that feeling of being scared, that feeling of taking risk, really amazing things can happen.” — Marissa Mayer
- “The comfort zone is a nice place, but nothing grows there. Take the leap today and start your business!” — Caroline Cummings
- “I don’t believe in failure. It’s not failure if you enjoyed the process.” — Oprah Winfrey
- “Define success on your own terms, achieve it by your own rules, and build a life you’re proud to live.” – Anne Sweeney
- “Build your business success around something that you love — something that is inherently and endlessly interesting to you.” —Martha Stewart
- “Follow your passion — and if you don’t know what it is, realize that one reason for your existence on earth is to find it.” —Oprah Winfrey
- “What I learn from talking to so many women around the world: If you can empower them with the right things, the right tools, they can lift up their family. And that ultimately lifts up their community and their society” — Melinda Gates
- “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.” ― Brigham Young
In this article, I shared the power of positive affirmations. I am a huge believer of positive affirmations and it’s brought me everything I’ve ever wanted in my life and more!
I hope that this article helps you to overcome your negative thoughts and to start thinking more abundantly!
You may also like
- How and Why You Need To Practice Gratitude Every Single Day
- 7 Smart Ways To Set And Achieve Your Goals In 2019
- 6 Personal Development Books All Successful People Must Read!
- How To Cure The Winter Blues (Depression)
- 10 Ways To Practice Self Love And Why It’s Important
Pin for later
Recommendations for you
- Free Guide to Starting Your Own Blog! - This is a free guide I wrote to help you start your own blog!
- Free Resource Library! - I started this library for subscribers and I will be adding more to it every month. Free downloads for blogging, budgeting, moving abroad, etc.!
- Ebates - Get cash back for shopping online! Get $10 back when you spend your first $25!
- Airbnb - I love Airbnb and it's how I afford to travel so much without breaking the bank! Sign up for $40 off your first trip!